From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 2:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Packet Sizes [7:12826]

FTP generally uses a full-size packet: 1500 bytes on Ethernet, not counting
the header, CRC, preamble, inter-frame gap, or any VLAN or MPLS tagging.

HTTP does not use a full-size packet usually. You would think it would, but
it tends to use a 500-600 byte packet size. Using a shorter packet size
improves perceived performance because the screen can show partial data
while more data is en route.

ICMP depends on what you are doing and what parameters you use. Most error
or warning messages would be very short, probably 64 bytes or so. If it's
ICMP echo (ping), then the user can specify the number of bytes.

TFTP sends data in 512 byte blocks. Add the 8-byte UDP and 20-byte IP
header.

For all of these examples, there may be additional shorter packets for ACKs
and other overhead.

Priscilla

At 11:41 AM 7/18/01, Lupi, Guy wrote:
>Does anyone have a list of average packet sizes for different services?
>Things like FTP, HTTP, ICMP, TFTP and the like.  Just something general is
>fine, I am aware that there is no hard and fast rule.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com