At 09:20 AM 7/19/01, Lupi, Guy wrote:
>Thank you to all who replied to this post.  I do have another question for
>you.  When the packet is sent to layer 2 for encapsulation and transmission,
>if it is Ethernet, an Ethernet header is placed on and the frame is
>transmitted.  As far as I know the only requirement is that the frame must
>end on a 32 bit boundary

I don't believe there is any such requirement. TCP and IP headers must end
on a 32-bit boundary, but the data doesn't have to.

>, must be at least 64 bytes, and is not padded

The Ethernet driver may do the padding if the upper layer does not.

>further.  So that if the packet is 700 bytes, and is encapsulated in an
>Ethernet frame, the total would be approximately 726 bytes.

That sounds right for most cases. To the 700, you would add:

8 bytes of preamble (This is usually not counted as part of the frame. The
preamble is used for clock synchronization.)

14 bytes Ethernet header: dest, src, type or length

4 bytes CRC

Maybe an 3 or 4-byte LLC header
Maybe a 5-byte SNAP header

>  Is this