I beg to differ slightly on the concept of VLANS.  A VLAN, as I'm sure you
know, is a broadcast domain and makes no assumption of nor has any
dependance upon layer three protocols.  However, the difference in answers
between how to extend a protocol independent broadcast domain vs an IP
broadcast domain over an IP network are subtle and likely moot in this case.

The design choices that could enable this technically challenged network
would include, as you point out, subneting the IP network such that the
single subnet becomes two and enabling routing over the IP intermediary
network, or, bridging the subnet across the IP network using a tunneling
technique in which case the intermediary network becomes transparent to the
subnet.  The first case is likely the most plausible, though the original
poster has not indicated that it is indeed IP that needs the services of
this bridged network.

I think the original poster needs to ask him or her self Howard's cardinal
question "What problem am I trying to solve?"  likely yielding a need to
redesign toward a more simple, and functional design as you suggest :)

Pete