At 01:03 PM 7/24/01, Peter Van Oene wrote:
>I beg to differ slightly on the concept of VLANS.  A VLAN, as I'm sure you
>know, is a broadcast domain and makes no assumption of nor has any
>dependance upon layer three protocols.

I agree in theory. But in practice a VLAN is an IP subnet (on IP networks)
and it helps to think of it this way when designing and troubleshooting. I
get this from Dan Farkas, CCIE and CCSI, author of switching papers at
Certificaton Zone. http://www.certificationzone.com. (No, this is not
another ad for that great service. ;-) But Dan says that he encourages his
students to use the terms broadcast domain, subnet, and VLAN
interchangeably. It helps them understand traffic flow, etc. I think it
might help the poster....

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com