This means that although the switch cannot prevent the forwarding of invalid
frames since it begins forwarding prior to verifying the checksum, it can
keep track of the number of errored frames since it does eventually verify
the checksum.  In other words, unlike store and forward switches who verify
the checksum before forwarding, by the time a cut-through switch realizes
the frame is bad, the damage is done.  This is key for modes like
adaptive/dynamic cut-through or whatever marketing calls it these days,
where a switch can use cut-through until a specific error threshhold is
reached and then dynamically switch to store and forward mode.  In practice
however, the latency variance between modes is so minimal that I believe
almost all switches use store and forward.

Pete