From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Phil Barker
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 4:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Certificationzone White Paper ? [7:16354]

Just reading "Layer 2 Switching and Bridging" by Leigh
Anne Chisholm.

Cut-Through

"Since the port does not wait to receive the CRC at
the end 'if/of' the frame, it cannot determine the
integrity of the data received"

Happy with that.

"Cut-through switches CAN perform a CRC check as the
frame passes through the switch, keeping track of the
number of bad frames the port receives".

I'm Confused.

I'm guessing that some form of CRC checksum can be
calculated on the first X-bits of the frame before the
cut-through process is allowed rather than the entire
frame.

Any ideas ?

Phil.