Interesting,

But traditional split-horizon seems to be concerned with the "interface"
the routes came in and went out on, whereas with iBGP the routes are not
passed even if they come in one interface, but are being sent out another,
Its more of a peer level than an interface level.

Brian

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Chuck Larrieu wrote:

> As a result of an off-list conversation, I came across the following
> networking term:
>
> iBGP split horizon
>
> my first reaction was a sarcastic remark about never having come across the
> term in the RFC's. but then I got to thinking about it, and I now see this
> as a descriptive and quite useful term.
>
> recall that distance vector protocols are subject to the rule of split
> horizon. they do not advertise a route back out the interface that they
> received that particular route.
>
> one of the gotchas of iBGP is the fact that iBGP routers do not propagate
> routes learned from one iBGP neighbor to other iBGP neighbors. hence the
> requirement for iBGP full mesh.
>
> so why not call this iBGP split horizon? and define it as follows: an iBGP
> router will not advertise a route back out the same AS from which it
learned
> the route?
>
> does this make sense? worth letting this one join the lexicon of networking
> terminology?
>
> Chuck
    I'm buying / selling used CISCO gear!!
            email me for a quote

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036   Scarlett Parria
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
318-213-4709              318-213-4701

Netjam, LLC               http://www.netjam.net
333 Texas St.             VISA/MC/AMEX/COD
Suite 1401                30 day warranty
Shreveport, LA 71101      Cisco Channel Partner
toll free: 866-2NETJAM
phone:     318-212-0245
fax:       318-212-0246