At 11:59 PM 8/21/01, Tony Medeiros wrote:
>I always thought "split horizon" was a non intuitive term anyway.  iBGP or
>whatever.  Some engineers come up with the strangest names for things.
>
>Split horizon implys there is a big tree that is obstructing my view of the
>sunset. :>0

Is it a spanning tree? ;-)

I like the term split horizon and agree with the idea of using it
generically. I encourage the generic use of most terms so that people think
about what they really mean. See a discussion we had earlier about distance
vector, for example.

For spanning tree, I like the way Radia Perlman puts it:

"The purpose of the spanning tree algorithm is to have bridges dynamically
discover a subset of the topology that is loop-free (a tree) and yet has
enough connectivity so that where physically possible, there is a path
between every pair of LANs (the tree is spanning)."

I'm not sure I had ever thought about why the word "spanning" is in the
phrase. And I would add to her description:

A tree is a mathematical concept. A tree is a diagram or graph that
branches from a single stem without forming loops or polygons.

A lot of people learn these terms without understanding them.

And, back to the subject, I think split horizon can be used in this
situation, even though it's a bit different and the horizons aren't quite
the same.

Priscilla

(wishing she was looking over the Hawaiian horizon about now. ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com