Is this an academic question or are you actually seeing TCP checksum
errors? I have never seen a TCP checksum error, so I wondered. Well, I have
seen them when people change the data in Sniffer traces without
recalculating the checksum, but that's not "real world."

In answer to your question, TCP checksum errors would have to be a software
bug, or possibly firmware bug if TCP were implemented in firmware.

If the frame gets damaged in transit, it gets trashed by the recipient
because the data-link-layer CRC isn't right. If the routing process or IP
implementation trashes the frame, then the IP checksum won't be right and
TCP trashes the frame.

If the frame gets all the way to TCP and ends up with a checksum error,
then software at the TCP layer damaged it.

I think your real question might be what is causing TCP retransmissions?
TCP transmissions can result from errors at any layer that caused a frame
or an acknowledgement to not reach the intended recipient. TCP
retransmissions are much more likely to result from the following potential
errors than from a TCP checksum error:

Frames getting damaged in transit and getting trashed
         Issue a show int and check reliability and CRC error rates
         If Ethernet, check for excessive collisions, duplex mismatch
problems

Routers or switches dropping frames due to buffer overflows
         Issue a show int and check for dropped frames
         Issue a show buffer and check for problems

Frames getting dropped by service provider
         If frame relay, check that you aren't going above your CIR

There's probably a bunch of other reasons. I recommend the various Cisco
Internetwork Troubleshooting books. The Cisco Press one is very  good.

One other thought: a few retransmissions are normal. You might want to
check the percentage. I hesitate to give a threshold, but if it's just a
few percent of your frames getting retransmitted, don't worry about it. Are
users noticing a problem? That's the bottom line.

Priscilla

At 03:30 AM 8/22/01, Anatoly Shein wrote:
>Hi
>According to my knowledge incorrect TCP check sum cause to TCP
>retransmissions.
>What could be reason for incorrect TCP checksum?
>As I understand it could be problem in one of the router/proxy probably
>switch.
>And intuitively I think that problem should be wherever in OS.
>Can you give me any suggestion about detection of the fault machine or
>source to find more info about this problem.
>
>Suggestions I mean something more constructive than putting sniffers on each
>leg of the device and look for TCP checksum errors.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com