From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 10:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: incorrect TCP checksum [7:16776]

What is reporting the TCP checksum error? I'm just wondering. Is it an OS
error report?

It is probably either the sender or the receiver causing the problem as far
as I can tell. Routers shouldn't have any effect. They don't change or
check the TCP checksum, under normal circumstances.

There is one other thing to consider, which is NAT. The TCP checksum is
based on the TCP header and data as well as the "pseudo header." The pseudo
header grabs data from the IP layer, including the source and destination
addresses. If these fields are getting changed by NAT and the TCP checksum
isn't recalculated or is recalculated incorrectly, you could have a problem.

Regarding whether a protocol analyzer captures bad packets, it depends on
the driver. Most drivers trash frames with a bad data-link-layer CRC. You
need a special driver to capture these with an analyzer. I don't the answer
for your particular situation.

Good luck. This is a difficult problem. Please let us know what you find
out! Thanks.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com