I agree with you're opinion of the exams.

Would it really be so hard for them to at least simulate the non-theory
questions about configurations?
There should be at least 10 questions that ask you to configure something
and then give you a  command prompt. It don't believe it would be that hard
to design a limited command IOS simulator. I would rather they raise the
price of the exam to $200 each if they need to implement this to raise the
standards of the exam and also make it more pertinent to the whole purpose
of the ceritfication.

How could you certify someone as a professoinal if you're not testing them
properly?

""Leigh Anne Chisholm""  wrote in message
> Unfortunately Peter, having just written the Routing 2.0 and Switching 2.0
> exams, I'd have to disagree.  To pass the exams, Cisco Press is the best
> source you can get if that's your only goal.
>
> The old CCNP 1.0 exam series took a lot of heat for being ambiguous,
poorly
> worded, difficult to understand.  Likely they were written by people with
> technical knowledge that didn't have any experience writing.  The new CCNP
> 2.0 exam series is straight forward, very little ambiguity, and the
> questions seem to be word-for-word straight from the course material.  I
> think Cisco likely went in the opposite direction and hired people that
knew
> nothing about networking but could write.  With a miniscule of knowledge
> about multicasting, I read over one chapter the night before, skipped the
> second on how to configure multicasting, and scored 100%.  My third
highest
> section score was multi-layer switching, which I read over the morning of
> the exam.
>
> Cisco--are you listening?
>
> I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of the questions on the exam.
I'm
> tinkering around with a Cat 5 and a 2924XL right now.  It's been a year
and
> a half since I last touched a Cat 5 (I was quite proficient back then) but
> I'm constantly accessing the help facility to get the correct format of
the
> command on the Cat 5 and as for the 2924XL?  That's just plain ugly.  I'm
> used to the 1900 series IOS commands.  "Trunk on".  "Set trunk on".  Who
the
> heck would think that a trunk command would be prefaced with "switchport"?
> That's the last place I looked on the 2924XL.
>
> It's now ungodly easy to become a paper CCNP - because I passed the exam
and
> yet I'm as awkward as can be navigating the switch.  Yes I know the
concepts
> and theory...  but it will take me a bit of time to get up to speed
finding
> my way around--and I'll be there in about two and a half weeks.  THAT's
when
> I should be able to pass the exam--and not before.  With the relative ease
> of questions, with the fact that you don't have to apply the knowledge to
> pass (just regurgitate), the CCNP certification won't be highly regarded
in
> the industry and it shouldn't be.
>
> One thing I might mention--is that I'm disappointed in the exams--not the
> Cisco Press material.  Cisco Press's books are a great resource for
finding
> out how to do things.  If the only goal is to pass the exam, Cisco Press
is
> the way to go.  And that's truly disappointing.
>
> What we do at CertificationZone.com... what I do at Sybex...  that's such
> completely different philosophy.  The focus there is on learning--having
the
> skills and knowledge to pass the exam.  You've got to think because you're
> not spoon fed.  CertificationZone as a preparation source is just awesome
> (but then again, I'm biased aren't I?)
>
> If you're the type of person that wants to use the tests to determine how
> well they've developed a skill set... CertificationZone and other 3rd
party
> publishers that publish quality material are the best source of study
> material because you won't pass based on straight regurgitation.
Moreover,