You are spending too much time on Microsoft Windows, that's why your Unix
skill is getting rusty. Joking aside, on a serious thought, make sure
that your syslogd is accepting remote logging connection.  On your
Solaris box, do the following:  "ps -eaf | grep syslog",  if you see
something like this:

root       434     1  0 09:49 ?        00:00:00 syslogd -m 0 -r

it means that your syslog is accepting remote logging "-r".  If not,
restart your syslog server by doing this:

1) killall syslogd

2) syslogd -m 0 -r

Now your syslog will start logging remotely.

let me know if you have questions.

>From: "Brian" >Reply-To: "Brian" >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: Re:
Logging to remote UNIX server [7:17401] >Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:57:07
-0400 > >I am sure its sending the syslog to the server. Can you run a
sniffer >or tcpdump on the server to see that there is stuff coming in?
Do you >have the syslog on the solaris box configured to accept remote
>connections? (By default syslog does NOT receive remote connections, you
>must read the man page and enable syslog to allow remote connections). >
>Brian > > >On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Charles Dowling wrote: > > > Hey All, >
> > > I have been trying to set up my 3660 (IOS 12.1) access router to
log > > everything to my HP OpenView server (Solaris 8). It seems simple
to set > > up on the Cisco side with only a few commands but it doesn't
seem to be > > working. The 'show logging' command indicates that it is
working and > > sending messages to the remote box but it is not
receiving anything. > > Any thoughts, guidelines, info? > > > > Thanks, >
> Charles. > > > > These are the configuration items I entered: > > > >
logging on > > logging buffered 10000 debugging > > no logging rate-limit
> > logging trap debugging > > logging facility syslog > > logging
192.168.x.x > > > > Results of 'show logging': > > router#sh logging > >
Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 1 messages rate-limited, 0 >
> flushes, 0 overruns) > > Console logging: level debugging, 1559
messages logged > > Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged >
> Buffer logging: level debugging, 1560 messages logged > > Logging
Exception size (0 bytes) > > Trap logging: level debugging, 1564 message
lines logged > > Logging to 192.168.x.x, 33 message lines logged > > > >
Log Buffer (10000 bytes): > > > > [GroupStudy.com removed an attachment
of type text/x-vcard which had a name > > of cdowling.vcf] > I'm buying /
selling used CISCO gear!! > email me for a quote > >Brian Feeny, CCIE
#8036 Netjam, LLC >[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.netjam.net
>VISA/MC/AMEX/COD phone: 318-212-0245 >30 day warranty fax: 318-212-0246
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]