I can vouch for the percussive maintenance method. Many years ago a lady
where I worked was using an old modular Macintosh. Suddenly the screen went
blank except for a vertical stripe. She went into panic mode. Big project
etc, etc. I remembered that the video card was located on the right side.
Rumor had it that those cards were manufactured in Mexico and did have
solder joint failures. ... So I smacked it on that side. The screen popped
back up momentarily then died. So I smacked it again - several times. It
came back to life. I told her to immediately save her work and move it to
another machine. She kept using that 'til she left.
Some time later while job hunting I'm about to interview with the Pres of
the company. Guess who is his Admin Assistant? She runs in the office and
says "Hire this guy. etc."