(I think this applies to both serial (frame relay) subinterfaces and
ethernet (VLAN) subinterfaces....)

I don't think you can address both the interface and the subinterfaces, you
have to choose one or the other.  Can't say what would happen if you try,
but usually when you're using the subinterface, there's nothing "speaking"
directly to the interface itself .

Mike W.

"Sean Knox"  wrote in message
> On a Cisco router/switch running IOS with VLAN capabilities (i.e. 8500)
can