>Priscilla;
>
>Couldn't it be argued that the *act* of routing is actually a layer 3
>activity, however the routing protocols actually reside at the application
>layer.  My reasoning for this, is if you look at the various routing
>protocols, their function is to exchange information, and it is a different
>process that actually forwards the packets.  For example, you can configure
>a cisco router with static routes to build its routing table *or* you can
>configure OSPF, RIP, EIGRP, etc.  Which results in new process running on
>the router to manage the information exchange, yet the actual routing of the
>packets are still managed by the same process that static routes uses.  I am
>not necessarily disagreeing with you, just trying to start some conversation
>on the subject.
>
>Thanks

 From the perspective of someone that actively worked on the ISO
routeing architecture (and yes, that's the correct spelling), I'm not
sure what purpose conversation serves.  The management annex to the
ISO reference model (I think it's ISO 7498-4) defines system
management protocols (e.g., SNMP and CMIP agents) that live at the
application layer, and layer management protocols that control other
protocols at the same layer.  Routing protocols are specifically
defined as layer management.

Static routes do start at the application layer, but are sent by
system management to network layer management.

Again people -- PLEASE do not assume the simple 7 layer model that
Cisco tends to present was the end of all protocol stack development.
It wasn't.

If you want to coerce some protocol into a model (or a generation of
the model) that doesn't include it, feel free. But what the actual
source standards say isn't really a matter for discussion, unless you
want to create new models.