Couple additions (corrections).

I just discovered that RIP, IGRP and EIGRP actually use a TTL of 2! (I had
said that all routing protocol packets use a TTL of 1. OSPF and BGP do.) I
stick to my main point that routing protocol packets go to
directly-connected routers and could use just a data-link layer like IS-IS
does. (Some routing protocols propagate messages to neighbors on the other
side, but they don't simply forward packets at the IP layer).

Also, I want to say that I should have been more precise, as Howard was:

Routing protocols are layer management protocols at the network layer.

Also, I liked this that he said: Just because a protocol is transmitted
using a protocol at layer (N) doesn't make the payload protocol layer (N+1).

If we think about it, there are other examples of this being true besides
management protocols. It's pretty common to see the session-layer NetBIOS
protocol running on top of LLC, for example. (It's sometimes called NetBEUI
in this case, but it still has session-layer behavior.)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com