Robert,

having done this exact same setup in my CCIE lab using a teltone POTS
simulator I can verify that this can be done.

You were right on in asking about the async port.  That will be the physical
interface to your dialer1. Your basical config may look something like this
interface async1
ip unnumbered ethernet0
no ip directed-broadcast
encap ppp
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
async mode dedicated
fair-queue 64 16 0
no cdp enable
ppp authentication chap

Check out this link as it provides a lot of information for DDR.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12supdoc/dsq
cg3/qcddr.htm#xtocid60145

Watch the wrap.

Tim