OK, so I tried it. The "ip dhcp-server" command didn't do anything on my
network, which is mostly Ethernet LANs. What good is it? ;-)

I had to use "ip helper-address" on the interface where the client resides.
With that command, the DHCP messages got forwarded, whether I had "ip
dhcp-sever" configured or not. Using just "ip dhcp-server" without the "ip
helper-address" did not work, however. In that case, the DHCP messages did
not get forwarded.

Here's my config. The client is on the 36.1.1.0 network.

I was sitting with my EtherPeek protocol analyzer on the 10.10.0.0 network.
I could see the DHCP Discover come through to 10.10.0.1 whether I used "ip
dhcp-server 10.10.0.1" or not, as long as I did use "ip helper-address
10.10.0.1."

charlotte#s run
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 11.0
service udp-small-servers
service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname charlotte
!
enable password xxxx
!
ip dhcp-server 10.10.0.1 (also tried it without this)
!
interface Ethernet0
  ip address 10.10.0.2 255.255.255.0
!
interface Ethernet1
  ip address 36.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
  ip helper-address 10.10.0.1 (this is what really did the trick)
!
interface Serial0
  ip address 192.168.40.2 255.255.255.0
  no fair-queue
!
interface Serial1
  no ip address
  shutdown
!
interface TokenRing1
  no ip address
  shutdown
!
interface TokenRing0
  no ip address
  shutdown
!
router ospf 100
  network 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 2
  network 10.10.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
  network 36.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 2
!
line con 0
line aux 0
  transport input all
line vty 0 4
  password cisco
  login
!
end

The DHCP Discover from the client that I captured might be informative for
people learning about how DHCP Relay works. Notice that the packet is a
unicast, rather than a broadcast. Also, notice at the IP layer that the
source address is the router, not the client's 0.0.0.0 address that you
normally see with DHCP. The router also put its address in the DHCP server
under "Gateway IP Address." The DHCP server needs to see this to know which
subnet the client's request came from.

Ethernet Header
   Destination:  00:00:0C:05:3E:80
   Source:       00:00:0C:00:2E:75
   Protocol Type:0x0800  IP
IP Header - Internet Protocol Datagram
   Version:              4
   Header Length:        5  (20  bytes)
   Type of Service:      %00000000
Reliability
   Total Length:         328
   Identifier:           12800
   Fragmentation Flags:  %000  May Fragment   Last Fragment
   Fragment Offset:      0  (0  bytes)
   Time To Live:         127
   Protocol:             17  UDP
   Header Checksum:      0xD998
   Source IP Address:    36.1.1.1
   Dest. IP Address:     10.10.0.1
   No IP Options
UDP - User Datagram Protocol
   Source Port:          68  Bootstrap (BOOTP Client)
   Destination Port:     67  Bootstrap Protocol Server
   Length:               308
   Checksum:             0x3159
BootP - Bootstrap Protocol
   Operation:                    1  Boot Request
   Hardware Address Type:        1  Ethernet (10Mb)
   Hardware Address Length:      6  bytes
   Hops:                         0
   Transaction ID:               678970121
   Seconds Since Boot Start:     0
   Flags:                        0x0000
   IP Address Known By Client:   0.0.0.0  IP Address Not Known By Client
   Client IP Addr Given By Srvr: 0.0.0.0
   Server IP Address:            0.0.0.0
   Gateway IP Address:           36.1.1.1
   Client Hardware Address:      00:E0:98:89:52:FA
   Unused:                       0x00000000000000000000
   Server Host Name:
   ................  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
   Boot File Name:
   ................  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
   DHCP Magic Cookie:            0x63825363
   Message TypeDHCP Option
     Option Code:        53  Message Type
     Option Length:      1
     Message Type:       1  Discover
   Client IdentifierDHCP Option
     Option Code:        61  Client Identifier
     Option Length:      7
     Hardware Type:      1
     Hardware Address:   00:E0:98:89:52:FA
   Requested IP AddressDHCP Option
     Option Code:        50  Requested IP Address
     Option Length:      4
     Address:            36.1.1.2
   Host Name AddressDHCP Option
     Option Code:        12  Host Name Address
     Option Length:      8
     String:             MACTEAM.
   Vendor Class IdentifierDHCP Option
     Option Code:        60  Vendor Class Identifier
     Option Length:      7
     Option Data:
   MSFT 98           4D 53 46 54 20 39 38
   Parameter Request ListDHCP Option
     Option Code:        55  Parameter Request List
     Option Length:      9
     Requested Option:   1  Subnet Mask
     Requested Option:   15  Domain Name
     Requested Option:   3  Routers
     Requested Option:   6  Domain Name Servers
     Requested Option:   44  NetBIOS (TCP/IP) Name Servers
     Requested Option:   46  NetBIOS (TCP/IP) Node Type
     Requested Option:   47  NetBIOS (TCP/IP) Scope
     Requested Option:   43  Vendor Specific Information
     Requested Option:   77  User Class Information
   DHCP Option End
     Option Code:        255  End
Extra bytes (Padding):
   ...........       00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Frame Check Sequence:  0x00000000

Priscilla

At 05:12 PM 9/26/01, Wayne Wenthin wrote:
>I am currently using this command on many routers ranging in ios from 10.2
>(yeah I know but its a couple a hundred miles away) to 12.2.  Without it
>our customers (we are an ISP) cannot reach the DHCP servers.  It must work
>outside of the dialup only arena.
>

>At 01:09 PM 9/26/2001, khramov wrote:
> >Priscilla,
> >  I think that you are right about the ip dhcp-server command.  I looked
it
> >up on Cisco's web site.  It seems
> >that it can be used only with dial up to tell the client where dhcp server
> >is.
> >
> >Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I finally found that also, but only in reference to dial-up
networks
> > > where the router is acting as an access sever for SLIP/PPP clients.
Does
>it
> > > work elsewhere? It would be good if it did.
> > >
> > > Priscilla

>http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/d
> > ial_r/drdreip.htm#xtocid1564817>

So
>config?
> > > If
>(ports

> >67

>config

>that
> > > ip
>netbios
So

>Cisco's

>which

>had
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > Priscilla Oppenheimer
> > > http://www.priscilla.com
> >
> >[GroupStudy.com removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a
name
> >of khramov.vcf]

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com