An "IP directed broadcast" means a broadcast to a specific network or
subnet, for example 172.16.255.255 or 172.16.10.255. It's a generic
concept, not specific to DHCP.

You can have the forwarded DHCP UDP packets go to a directed broadcast
instead of to a specific address. In the ip helper-address command, you
could say 172.16.255.255 instead of 172.16.1.1, for example. This might be
useful if you had multiple servers, or for some reason didn't know the
exact address of the server.

Newer versions of Cisco IOS include the command "no ip directed broadcast"
by default. This is to stop hackers from sending packets to directed
broadcast addresses. I don't know what would happen if you had this command
but you also used a directed broadcast in the ip helper-address command.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com