It's not just a "model," though. It's also a set of ISO documents.

These arguments would be like if we said something about Ethernet that was
different from what the IEEE 802.3 documents state, or something about
TCP/IP that was different from the RFCs.

Howard has actually read the ISO documents and I think he even helped
develop them. The rest of us haven't, and it doesn't sound like Jeff Doyle
has either. ;-)

According to these ISO documents, the application layer supports end-user
applications like e-mail.

Also according to ISO documents, routing protocols stand outside the basic
protocol stack in a management plane. Routing protocols provide management
services for the Network Layer. Routing protocol functionality is covered
in a Management Annex to the original ISO document and also in the OSI
Routeing Architecture document.

Bottom line: don't even bother to bring this subject up again until you
have read the documents, and forget that too, because they are expensive
and hard to get. Just listen to Howard. ;-)

Priscilla

At 08:41 PM 9/26/01, Mark Morenz wrote:
>The OSI model is relatively important (why else would questions about it
>routinely become the longest threads?).
>
>My whole argument for them is this: Models are just learning tools. When
>people learn biology, they don't *start* by learning "how things work", they
>*start* by learning the major systems (skeletal, neuro-muscular, etc.).
>That's all the model-- ANY model-- should be about.
>
>I agree that the arguments tend to get esoteric. But some spirited debate
>never hurts.
>
>:-{)]
>
>Mark A. Morenz, MS Ed, CCNA, CCAI

Priscilla Oppenheimer