From: routerjocky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 1:29 PM
To: Elmer Deloso
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OSPF-Doyle Vol 1 pp 531-533 [7:22021]

> Hi.
> I haven't implemented this Case Study yet, but
> The info in the Routing table for Rubens (Area 1) is
> Correct. Matisse (Area 192.168.10.0) has OSPF running

nay, the routing table is incorrect for this part...read Issue #1

> On the primary address of its e0. 172.19.35.15
> Is configured as a secondary on e0. Page 526 clearly explains

Issue #1:  Read the config on 530 and the 1st paragraph on 531.  he claims
to have removed the secondary from the OSPF config, yet IA 172.19.35.0 still
shows up at Rubens.

Issue #2:  The routing table on Rubens is still wrong, even if the secondary
is still intact and advertised IA.  It's not a (classful) /16 subnet, it's a
/25 subnet.  (I didn't see an area range command for 172.19 anywhere in the
config)

> The two rules related to how OSPF interacts with secondary
> Addresses. To answer your question, yes this will be flooded
> To Area 0 by Matisse (now an ASBR) as an IA route, not as an
> E2 (the default) for external routes (page 512) in this case
> All RIP routes from Dali redistributed into OSPF will be seen by
> The other OSPF routers as E2. Page 530's configuration also shows
> The "redistribute rip metric 10" thus defaulting to an E2 type.

My issue is not with metric-type 1 or 2... I know how to change those and
I'm not questioning the validity of E2.  In fact he makes the point of
showing the E2 cost (10) all the way to Rubens as opposed to E1 (cumulative)
cost.  In fact, I'll add to this exercise to change the cost of just a few
of the redistributed RIP routes to metric-type 1 (just for fun and practice)

Issue #3:  without net 172.19.0.0 a 192.168.10.0 in the OSPF config, it does
not get advertised at all, much less as an E2 route, but it's a
directly-connected RIP route.  Does a redistribute connected need to be
added to get that route into OSPF?