At 6:22 PM -0700 10/18/01, Chuck Larrieu wrote:
>the following was taken from a working configuration. I do not have the
>bridging configuration handy, but I have bridged using DSL successfully.
>
>to bridge you need to configure IRB and create a BVI that will have your
>public IP address. It will also be the interface for NAT outside. The DSL
>link will be part of the bridge-group.

Do I need to bridge, though?  It seems to me, and maybe I'm being dumb,
that I should be able to configure the pertinent details on the interface,
bring it up, and things should work.  I'm not clear on why I'd need to use
CRB or IRB at all.

>I also notice that you do not have your encapsulation set. I've never been
>clear when or where this is required, so I always throw it in there.

I went ahead and set the encap:

interface ATM0/0
 mtu 1500
 no ip address
 atm vc-per-vp 256
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 bundle-enable
 dsl operating-mode auto
!
interface ATM0/0.1 point-to-point
 mtu 1500
 ip address 216.162.122.26 255.255.255.248
 pvc valuenet 0/35
  encapsulation aal5snap
 !
!

And debug output remains the same.  It's also interesting that if I ping
the IP I assigned to the interface from an outside host, I get debug
output, so the packets are making it to the interface.  However, the ping
never sees replies.

>also - your debug output is showing VPI 0 and VCI 23. is your telco of any
>help providing you with the proper pvc info?

VPI is 0, VCI is 35.  The debug output shows 0x23 for the VCI, which is
hex, and converts to decimal 35.

Here's the output of a sho int, in case that reveals anything useful:

ATM0/0 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is DSLSAR (with Alcatel ADSL Module)
  MTU 1500 bytes, sub MTU 1500, BW 160 Kbit, DLY 12800 usec,
     reliability 248/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ATM, loopback not set
  Encapsulation(s): AAL5 AAL2, PVC mode
  23 maximum active VCs, 256 VCs per VP, 1 current VCCs
  VC idle disconnect time: 300 seconds
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 04:39:53
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: None
     100 packets input, 10932 bytes, 0 no buffer
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
     59 packets output, 4782 bytes, 0 underruns
ATM0/0.1 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is DSLSAR (with Alcatel ADSL Module)
  Internet address is 216.162.122.26/29
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 160 Kbit, DLY 12800 usec,
     reliability 248/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ATM
  100 packets input, 10932 bytes
  34 packets output,2152 bytes
  0 OAM cells input, 0 OAM cells output