From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Ben Hockenhull
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 7:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ADSL config [7:23456]

>the carrier DSL bridge? You would plug the Ethernet output into a hub or
>switch, plug your other end stations into that hub or switch, and number
>everything according to the IP scheme your carrier provides. You should be
>doing the same on your Cisco box. I can only speak to what I have done
>personally, but my understanding is that you would bridge on the DSL link,
>and the public IP address would either go on the ethernet link or the BVI.

Well, the way it was set up, the provided DSL bridge plugs into an ethernet
interface designated as external, the internal network was on another
ethernet interface, I set the public IP on the public ethernet interface,
enable NAT, and things Just Work.  I'm trying to get rid of the bridge for
a variety of reasons, including the fact that the bridge doesn't drop line
protocol on the ethernet port when the DSL link goes down, so my
dial-backup never triggers.

I'm still unclear on why I need to set up bridging, unless I need to be
sending BPDUs to the DSLAM or something.  If the ADSL interface is
configured with the PVC information and has an IP, why can't it just
encapsulate the frames and send them down the wire without the benefit of
an explicit bridge-group?  The DSL bridge that was in place simply
performed media conversion in the first place.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Ben