Does the router end up in rommon mode? From there you can use tftpdnld. You
might have to change your config register. About a week ago I posted a
message about IOS updates to a 1750. Might have had flash in the subject
line. It had links to CCO pages that would be helpful to you. Search the
archives. Good luck. Short answer is that it erases the existing image
before installing the new.