From: Carroll Kong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2001 2:25 PM
To: Brad Moss
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem with Etherchannel [7:23692]

         Yeah, sorry for the misinformation before.  Here is the a good way
to remember the modes.  The most part, PaGP is either auto or
desirable.  Or you can just turn the pesky thing on or
off.  (non-PaGp).  Of course it will only work if you are both on if you
choose the non-PaGp mode.  As for knowing the right compatibility, remember
that desirable people are also aggressive.  :)  Two aggressive people can
communicate.  Auto is passive.  Two passive people cannot communicate.  One
aggressive and one passive can communicate as well.  Just think of an
aggressive desirable as those players.  (male or female).  Those nice guys
and girls who are passive just never get with anyone.  :)  Sorry, I just
immediately jumped the gun and assumed you chose the two passive case
without really reading carefully and remembering my own rules.  :(  Very
bad form, I do not blame anyone for not believing me after such a blunder.

         You cannot do both as desirable.  One must be desirable and the
other auto.  Or you can try forcing the modes to "on" and "on".  That might
fix it!

At 12:57 PM 10/21/01 -0400, Brad Moss wrote:
>I am trying to connect two cat5500s and am unable to get port channel to
>come online.  I have configured both sides below is the config of the
ports.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. These are production switches the
>only thing I have to done is reboot them.  For some reason they are not
>recognizing that they are connect to the same switch on the other end of
>either link. I am unaware on any "special" things that must happen for port
>channeling both blades support it.
>

>Set po channel 8/3-4 mode desirable
>Set trunk 8/3 isl on
>Set trunk 8/4 isl on
>
>Set po channel 1/1-2 desirable
>Set trunk 1/1 isl on
>Set trunk 1/2  isl on
>
>Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Level  Duplex Speed Type
>----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ----- --------
-
>---
>  8/3                     connected  trunk      normal   full   100
100BaseFX
>MM
>
>Port  Status     Channel              Admin Ch
>                  Mode                 Group Id
>----- ---------- -------------------- ----- -----
>  8/3  connected  desirable non-silent   157     0
>
>Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Level  Duplex Speed Type
>----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ----- --------
-
>---
>  8/4                     connected  trunk      normal   full   100
100BaseFX
>MM
>Port  Status     Channel              Admin Ch
>                  Mode                 Group Id
>----- ---------- -------------------- ----- -----
>  8/4  connected  desirable non-silent   157     0
>
>SJMDFSW01> (enable) sho po channel
>No ports channeling
>
>Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Level  Duplex Speed Type
>----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ----- --------
-
>---
>  1/1  Uplink SJMDFSW01   connected  trunk      normal   full   100
100BaseFX
>MM
>
>Port  Status     Channel   Channel     Neighbor                  Neighbor
>                         mode      status      device
port
>----- ---------- --------- ----------- ------------------------- ----------
>  1/1  connected  desirable not channel
>
>Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Level  Duplex Speed Type
>----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ----- --------
-
>---
>  1/2  Uplink SJMDFSW01   connected  trunk      normal   full   100
100BaseFX
>MM
>
>Port  Status     Channel   Channel     Neighbor                  Neighbor
>                          mode      status      device
>port
>----- ---------- --------- ----------- ------------------------- ----------
>  1/2  connected  desirable not channel
>
>SJDCSW02> (enable) sho po channel
>No ports channelling
>

>Brad Moss,  CCNA
>Network Administrator
>CHRISTUS St. Joseph's Medical Center - South
>www.christushealth.org
>(903) 737-3160
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Carroll Kong