That type of behavior sounds like what I was experiencing.  It's
frustrating to stare at a config that you know is right but isn't
working.  I kept second-guessing myself and tried other things that I
didn't think really had a chance to work.  I was even more frustrated
after upgrading the IOS on my routers and then reconfiguring the lab
from scratch and it still didn't work.  That must have been because I
still configured things in the same order, causing the same problem as
before.

I'm glad someone else experience stuff like this.  Otherwise I'd
continue to question my sanity!

Thanks,
John

>>> "Chuck Larrieu"  10/24/01 8:37:48 AM >>>
John, there are lots of times where I have suspected a phenomenon
called
"artifact"

you enter and remove commands and enter more commands trying to get
things
to work, and sometimes something just seems to be left over in memory
and
the router misbehaves. Running config shows everything is correct. You
write, reload, and everything works perfectly.

This seems to happen a lot with things - like BGP configuration,
authentication, NTP configuration, and TFTP server setup. A couple of
days
ago I was setting up a two router BGP scenario to practice some
commands.
the neighbor relationship would not form. the configs were correct. I
reloaded, and everything came up just fine. Not too long ago I posted a
mean
culpa regarding my observations on problems with RIPv2 authentication.
It
turns out that changes I have made broke routing, yet al routes were in
the
table, with no indication of problems. A reload cleared everything,
and
revealed the routing problem, which in turn enabled me to realize what
the
problem was.

I'll have to go back through my notes on OSPF authentication, because
IIRC,
I ran into something along the lines you mention when I was practicing
that.

Also, I suspect there are more of these kinds of problems with 12.x
images.
My favorite is the one where you plug a cable into a port, set up your
layer
three, and nothing works. All the configs are correct. A reload
corrects the
situation. Starting with 12.x, the router does hardware checks, and if
there
is no cable plugged into a port, the router considers that port
"down".
adding a cable and layer three later gets you at best an up down
situation.
I have seen it happen where you get up up but no layer three works.
Reload,
and all is well.

Gotta love it.

HTH