>I hope I never have to spend another night inside four beige-colored walls,
>listening to the neighbors snore, watching prime-time TV on a lumpy bed, in
>a so-called "suite" because, oh boy, there's a couch too. I hope I never
>have to spend one more afternoon in a waiting room with loud speakers
>blaring and snot-nosed kids screaming, my laptop battery dead, and my feet
>hurting from standing all day. I hope I never have to hear one more lie
>about mechanical failures, weather, or pilot strikes. I hope I never have
>to spend one more evening crushed between two farting heavy-weights,
>watching some stupid movie on $4 dollar headsets that cost about $0.04 to
>make, dinner consisting of a white roll with processed ham.
>
>And that's my view of travelling! (I did it for years! ;-)
>
>Priscilla

Oh, there are many such memories. I think I KNEW it was getting to
me, sometime during the Cisco University circuit, when I woke up,
looked around me, and said. "OK. This is a Marriott. But where is
it?" I then looked at the telephone to find the phone number, to find
the area code, to find out what city I was in.

Not even consulting, but business travel -- finding out months after
the fact when you called your company's medical emergency number, got
dubious assistance, and then got a doctor to come to the hotel via
American Express -- and then having the bean-counters say that my
manager hadn't approved the expense. And the corporate policy is
called "Travel Well", guaranteeing emergency medical services.

Now, I recognize that when I consult, it's different than what most
people do.  But I can do a fair bit remotely, and tend to insist on
that -- I can design far more efficiently with my library and other
resources at hand. Since I'm facing a layoff, that is reassuring.