Well, I decided to chime in, even though this is getting way O/T and we're
probably going to hear everyone's life story now. Sorry. ;-]

I stay motivated because I have a passion for networking!!!

At one point, when I was feeling burned out, I studied to be a high school
teacher. I hated it for many reasons, but the main reason was because I had
to dumb everything down. The students didn't care about TCP sequence
numbers or EIGRP doing poison reverse. How could that be? ;-)

So I came back to my true love -- geeky networking details. The more
detailed the better.

On the other hand, I sympathize with people studying for CCIE because you
have to learn so much that isn't really very interesting. (DLSw+) I haven't
gotten my CCIE because I can't get motivated to practice on routers to the
extent that I could pass the lab. (I passed the written, though I have to
retake it because more than a year went by. Well, to be honest, many years
went by. So I am not a good role model. ;-) But I do plan to do it someday.

To get back to the point, I do have a message for the newbies in the group
(not necessarily the person who started this). If this isn't your passion,
find out what is! Maybe you could be a high school teacher!? Or a musician
or artist or entomologist or blackjack dealer or arachnologist.

It's normal to get burned out for short periods. But if you find yourself
being bored by protocols most of the time, and are doing this just for the
money, I recommend looking into other professions. (Of course, feeding the
family comes first, I realize, but in the long run, you'll make the most
money if you are doing what you love.)

Also, I do recommend taking the weekends off if you can. It helps one stay
focused during the week. The original poster said something about the pub
calling on a Friday night. Well, I don't think that's a bad sign. ;-)

Cheers and good luck to everyone trying to stay motivated, trying to find a
job, trying to stay sane, etc.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com