If the nat cause the problem (although I doubt it), perhaps you can try by
shutting the nat of after clearing all cache entries before hand ?
use the
clear ip nat trans * command to do that, or you can also specify certain
host if you like.

One fenomena that I heard in 6500, is that when you define a vlan and there
is nothing on physically at that VLAN (no physical machine connected), the
vlan interface is regarded as off. I don't know if this is true or not, but
that's what I've heard.

Regards
Donny