I think you are right.  After I posted my message, I tried to hand
verify it, but, I honestly do not know which is the serial number.  There
are so many stickers tags and numbers!  On top of that, I NEVER found the
same serial number on the chassis as the motherboard part even after
looking through all of those tags.  I think you are right and that the
serial number is JUST for the internal parts.  The serial number needed to
service is probably the chassis serial number which of course, is not
available inside the box or so it seems.

-Carroll Kong