>From personal experience I'd put that figure at 3% too high :-)
In the dim dark past we were running some 7500s with badly overloaded RSPs.
They would run with no discernible problems up to 97% or 98% CPU.  Then
late morning the traffic load would build up, and output queues on some of
the ports would eventually overrun, and DLSW circuits would start to
bounce, and the network would go into meltdown very spectacularly.
For various reasons it took us a while to get hold of upgraded RSPs, so
peak hour wasn't a lot of fun for us or the network users...

YMMV.  I do *not* recommend running at 97% CPU on a production network.

JMcL
----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 20/11/2001 09:26 am -----

"MADMAN"

cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: CPU Usage -  How
Much Is Too
                    nobody@groups        Much?
[7:26739]

tudy.com

20/11/2001
                    06:06
am

Please
                    respond

"MADMAN"

101%

  but seriously there is no hard 'n fast number but there is no reason
you can't run at 60-70%, leaving enough room for burst in CPU activity
so that you never hit 101%.

  Dave

Andrew Michael wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
>   Percentage-wise, what is the general consensus on excessive CPU usage
on

--
David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"