I find most people here are confusing certification with being knowledgeable.

If you are knowledgeable enough to do your job well, why go for the
certification anyway? Status?

On the other hand, employers ask for certifications more and more,
and mostly won't give you a job with a content or salary which is compatible
with the knowledge-level required for certifications,
at least when acquiring it the hard way.

The reason some certifications are easily obtained like MCSE, CNE and the
likes are that M$ and Novell are using the revenues for the certifications
as an extra source of income, without bordering to make good exams with a
database of 10000 or more questions, which
not only depends on learning some facts.
Here lies the answer, just let M$, Cisco and so make the examquestion
database so extensive that learning the answers to all the question in fact
would be the same as learning all the relevant material without having
access to the exam qeustions.

Personally, I'm using a combined approach. I want to understand fully what I
learn and will learn more than strictly is necessary for the exam, but I
will use any good prep-exam/braindump in the days for my exam just to ensure
my efforts will yield the desired result.