"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> It is an OSPF design principle.  Essentially, current-generation
> routing protocols (i.e., without traffic engineering) are incapable
> of doing other than hop-by-hop load sharing, which may lead to
> extremely poor end-to-end utilization.
>
> The IETF consensus is that when you need to optimize utilization,
> conserve resources, etc., you need traffic engineering. Routing is
> intended for topology discovery rather than traffic optimization.
>
> In other words, I consider, and I think most routing authorities
> would agree, that the unequal cost load balancing of IGRP and EIGRP
> really is a blind alley in protocol development.

Interesting. Thanks for that insight, Howard. And it makes sense because
although I've
played with it in the lab, I have never needed to configure EIGRP/IGRP
unequal cost load
balancing in the real world, nor even seen it configured. (Not that my
experience is
that wide.)

I wonder if anyone can comment regarding how widespread is the use of EIGRP
or IGRP
unequal cost load balancing?