See what you mean now I read it again, but if you expand the abbreviation:

FDDI - Fibre Distributed Data Interface

the answer to whether it can be passed over copper seems more obvious.

CDDI - Copper Distributed Data Interface may be the way if the question was
"Can the technology pass over thin or thick coax", but from what I remember,
CDDI used (at least) two pairs (but I wouldn't argue that point), so coax is
out.

Regards,

Gaz