Some troubleshooting books (like CIT) make a big deal about the reliability
and connection-oriented nature of ISDN which got me thinking...

Q.921 is definitely reliable and connection-oriented (looks just like LLC2,
in fact), but it only runs on the D channel, right? (It's also known as
LAPD.)

How about Q.931? Does it only run on the D channel? It seems to deal with
signalling issues, such as call setup. (Does it have a LAP designation, by
the way?)

For end-user data, my theory is that ISDN doesn't provide any reliability.
Is that right? Data on the B channel would typically be encapsulated in PPP
which does not offer reliability (ACKs and retransmissions).

I'm trying to synthesize an answer to the silly question about who
retransmits when a bit is changed or dropped on a WAN network. Here's my
summarization. Does it look OK?

Technology    Provides Reliability? (ACKs and retransmissions)
ATM           No
BISYNC        Yes
Cisco's HDLC  No
ISDN          No, except on the D Channel which uses LAPD
Frame Relay   No
LAPB          Yes
LAPD, Q.921   Yes
PPP           No