Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Q.921 is LAPD, isn't it?. Q.921 (LAPD) carries Q.931 info which is one
> layer up. Q.921 also does its own thing with TEI assignments, etc. It is
> reliable and connection-oriented and does include sequence numbers, etc.
>

>>If an ISDN packet is lost in the end-user context, corrupted, or whatever,
>>would think a higher level protocol would request retans if it was reliable
>>(TCP) and not ISDN.

>>Theres not even a seq number in q.931, so I would't
>>think it would know it was missing a frame.
>

> Good. That's what I thought. Also, since Q.921 and Q.931 are on the D
> channel and user traffic is on the B channel, they wouldn't help anyway.
> Sound right? Just trying to correct a misconception that I have heard
about
> ISDN being reliable.

Yes, that sounds exactly right to me.

There is no connection between the data transmitted on the B and D channels.

The D channel data is only used for call control (set up, tear down, etc.).
D channel functionality does not include making the B channel reliable.

While the call is up, the ISDN network shouldn't care a fig about what is
going over the B channel -- its simply a 64 kb/s (or 56, 112, or 128)
connection between two endpoints. It certainly doesn't know or care if you
are running ppp, hdlc, or grandpa's layer 2 protocol on the b channel. ISDN
provides no reliability for the user (properly, the bearer) data.

However, the call control (D-channel) combination of q.921 and q.931 is
reliable.

While its not exactly correct (because there is addressing - the TEIs), if
we think of the B channels as layer 1, with no possibility of reliability, I
think we won't be too far off.

--
Jason

Author of
Boson's BCMSN1, BSCN2, and BSCI2 and Quizware's CCIE