>  > HDLC is a Cisco-proprietary protocol.
>
>Not to nitpick, but HDLC itself is not proprietary; Cisco's
>implementation is...  HDLC was developed by the International
>Organization for Standardization (ISO). It falls under the ISO
>standards ISO 3309 and ISO 4335.
>
>Like others have pointed out, PPP is the way to go when mixing
>vendors, since it is an Internet standard.
>
>There may be one exception, however, but I cannot confirm it 100%...
>I was out at one of my customers a few weeks ago, and they were
>changing ISPs.  I asked the new ISP whether we ought to be using PPP
>or HDLC, and he said HDLC.  I commented on their use of Cisco
>equipment, and he told me that the head-end router was actually a
>Juniper box.
>
>Now, it seems reasonable to me that the new kid on the block, so to
>speak, would attempt to seemlessly interoperate with the most widely
>used routers, but I cannot say for sure.  Can anyone confirm this?

It would be most correct to say Cisco uses an HDLC-framed proprietary
protocol.  HDLC itself is really meant to be subsetted.  LAP, LAP-B,
LAP-D, and LAP-F are all proper subsets.

Juniper may have Cisco HDLC as an option.  I know BSDI UNIX does.

But HDLC has no real advantages over PPP for router-to-router
communications, so it's not something I worry about -- if there's any
question, I use PPP.