At 10:59 AM 11/30/01, Brent Wrisley wrote:
>Although intf's won't combine packets, I usually set higher MTU's so that
>larger packets with the DF flag on will be allowed through.

Although applications may set the DF bit (usually as part of the MTU
discovery process but for other reasons too), they still don't tend to send
very large packets. Even once you add some slop for extra encapsulations,
tunneling, VPNs, VLANs, etc. you don't need the MTU to be much larger than
the Ethernet MTU because end-user applications and configurations don't
tend to send packets that are larger than the Ethernet MTU.

This may change with time (and I'm sure there are some applications that do
send larger frames), but typical ones don't. In fact, it's a good thing
that they don't, as realtime (such as voice) packets get delayed when a
(slow) interface takes a long time to serially output bits in a very large
frame.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it seemed like maybe you missed my
point.... ;-}

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com