You're both right--there are two types of man-in-the-middle attacks that can
occur--one is with the initial connection. DH does not provide identity
validation--therefore, you might think your setting up a connection to your
remote site when it is really a man-in-the-middle that you're setting it up
with. To solve this, you can use a Certificate Authority to validate the
remote's identity.

The second problem is when the connection is set up to the "real"
destination, but there is still a "man-in-the-middle" peeking at all of your
traffic. Through the DH key exchange, even though the man-in-the-middle sees
the public keys that are shared, it doesn't see the private keys, nor the
new "secret" key derived from the remote's public and your private.

Hope this helps

Happy holidays!

Richard Deal

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:   http://pages.prodigy.net/richard.deal

* Just finished a CCNA ebook available at Boson (www.boson.com):
     + "CCNA Secrets Revealed!"

* CCNP test author for QuizWare (www.quizware.com)
     + CCNA #1 and #2 -- 550 questions each!
     + CCNP Routing #1 -- 500 questions
     + CCNP Switching #1 -- 500 questions
     + CCNP Remote Access #1 -- 500 questions
     + CCNP Support #1 -- 500 questions
     + CSS1 MCNS #1 and #2 -- 500+ questions each!

*  Author of the following Coriolis books:
     + "CCNP Switching Exam Cram"
     + "CCNP Remote Access Exam Prep"
     + "CCNP Cisco Lan Switch Configuration Exam Cram"
 wrote in message
> Ray,
>
> I have worked with diffie-hellman quite a bit.  You have the correct gist
of
> it.  The key to the answer is the word anonymous in the cisco excerpt.
The