I agree that CCIE candidates should read RFCs. If you answer D, however,
it's because your job should really be to be an editor, not a CCIE. ;-)

Seriously, the question is worded stranged mainly because of the use of
passive voice. A good editor would have told the author to fix that and the
question would have said:

"Which statement is true when IP needs to fragment a UDP packet?"

Answer C couldn't be right unless the MTU were 28 bytes! That's so unlikely
that a good test taker would not answer C.

The answer is A.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com