Sorry, I ramble on a bit here.

Sounds to me like you can do it.  The CCIE is about being able to do it.  I
think the CCNP is a terrific certification.  You really have to know your
stuff to pass the CCNP.  Once you finish the CCNP you should be ready for
the CCIE.  Use these listserv as a general guide as to the nature of the
test.

The Caslow book is great for creating a studying methodology. I think the
biggest piece of advice I can offer is to approach your study in a
methodical way.  I have seen candidates using labs from ccbootcamp and
others.  They cable up a lab, configure RIP/EIGRP/DLSW, recable the lab,
configure OSPF/BGP/IPX, recable the lab....Find a good lab design and then
use the same design for many labs. This wastes so much time just recabling.
As a side not, you don't need 12 routers in a lab for it to be a good lab.
I had 6 routers + 1 term serv and it worked great for me. If you want to
advertise 10 networks in BGP use loopback interfaces.

Here is what I did.  I had 2-3 lab designs.  I broke my study sessions into
weeks.  3 weeks OSPF, 1 week IS-IS, 1 week OSPF  RIP/IGRP etc.  Everyday,
because I was also worried about speed, I would start with blank configs.  I
would map out and assign the IP addresses.  Then I would say, for example,
these routers/interface are OSPF 0, these are OSPF stubs, these OSPF NSSA,
area ranges here, virtual-link there etc.  Then I would just make it work.
If it didn't work I would figure out either bad design and it won't work
because of XYZ, or how do I make it work.  You have to know the why's..
When all else failed I called TAC or emailed group study (Thanks to
Priscilla).  At the end of the night, wr erase.  I did nothing but OSPF for
about a month.

Along the way, I learned something about the difficulty/complexity of
different protocols and Routing protocols.  From the routing protocol view,
nothing is harder than OSPF (BGP discussion later). Next is EIGRP, IS-IS,
then IGRP and RIP.  There are a lot of bells and whistles to OSPF and you
have to understand all of them.  Notice I didn't say just how to configure
them.  You can count on twists being thrown in to see if you memorized
commands or in fact know how the commands work.

Redistribution is a beast you have to conquer.  Caslow is great on this.
What are the problems with VLSM-FLSM? How do you get around the problems?
When do you use distribute-lists, when do you use route-maps? when do you
use summary-address? Why?

With BGP, I used CCO.  With my same lad design, I used the BGP resources on
CCO and went through them.  1 night confederations, 1 night as-path
filtering etc... How is BGP different than other IP routing protocols??

IS-IS...IS-IS was developed to work with OSI at the same time OSPF was being
written for IP.  The IS-IS/OSI group liked some of the ideas from the
OSPF/IP group and the OSPF/IP group liked some of the ideas from the
IS-IS/OSI group.  Lots of people on groupstudy seem to be scared of IS-IS.
Like a buddy of mine said, "It's just another routing protocol".

Then there is the other protocols, IPX, DLSW and in my case Appletalk, and
DECNet.  Like I said earlier, everything is easier than OSPF and IP.  There
has to be some method of providing addressing and some method of propagating
routing information.  In the cases of IPX, Appletalk, and DLSW, there is
also a method of advertising services.  Think of the similarities these
protocols have, instead of how they all seem very different. After all, IP
over ISDN and IPX over ISDN have more things a like than not a like.

Sorry for Rambling on.  In summary.

1. Have a method to your studying.
2. Spend your time configuring, not recabling.
3. Understand Why it works.
4. Understand Why it doesn't work.
5. Learn where you can get answers. Books, CCO, groupstudy.
6. Learn IP/OSPF inside and out first, everything else will seem easier.