On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Joshua Barnes wrote:

> I am a CCNA, CCDA and 3/4 CCNP have only the CIT left.
> I haven't even attempted the written because I am afraid to pass and
> then be unprepared for the lab and subsquently run out of time.  I
> really need a dose of reality and a confidence shot and I think that
> things will settle in for me.   I am not easily intimidated but our two
> CCIE's are always talking like it is impossible to pass the first time
> and basically playing it up like it is the most impossible thing that
> you will ever do.  I respect the lab, I feel that it has a difficulty

It is very difficult, that is true (witness the few amount of CCIE's that
exist in the many years of the program).  There is a HUGE difference in
what you need to know to pass CCNP and what you need to be able to do to
pass the CCIE lab.  The CCIE lab is more of a test of your will than
anything else.  Most people that don't follow thru, give up early, because
of attrition.  It requires sacrifice of your time and alot of
determination.  If you can give that, than you can do it.

> level unlike anything I have ever heard of.  BUT!, I feel like, you can
> pass anything if you know your stuff.  The tests that I have taken so
> far have had their own difficulty level and in retrospect I dont think
> that they were that hard.  For the amount of time that I studied, I
> passed rather easily I think.
> Here is a little scenario, I studied for and passed the BCRAN in a week.
> I studied and passsed the BCSN in 2 weeks. I read the switching book by
> karen webb (she is terrible, IMHO) 3 times then took the test 2 weeks
> later.  The CIT I plan on spending a month on it.  Then I was gonna take
> the CID which I really planned on taking my time on. Because a friend of
> mine failed it twice and design test are always harder.

Between Jul '00 and Dec '00 I passed ccna/ccda/ccnp/ccdp and my security,
voice and atm specializations.  I also passed my CCIE written in Nov '00.
So all that in a six month period.  But I have been doing this a very long
time, those tests were just never on my list of things to do.  My CCIE lab
however, I studied from Dec '00 to Jul '01.  when I say study, I mean
about 5 hours a night on weekdays, and 15-20 hours total on the weekend.
this was coupled with ECP1, a $40k lab, and years of experience working as
the lead technical person in one of the largest ISP's in Louisiana.

its tough, it will wear you down, but you have to keep at it.

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036

    I'm buying / selling used CISCO gear!!
            email me for a quote

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036   Netjam, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         http://www.netjam.net
VISA/MC/AMEX/COD          phone: 318-212-0245
30 day warranty           fax:   318-212-0246