From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 1:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Routing protocols [7:29139]

>At 10:57 PM 12/13/01 -0500, Chuck Larrieu wrote:
> >I once had an interesting, if heated argument with someone off list about
> >this. IIRC, I was told by that person that Cisco, in its current CCNP
study
> >materials, is saying just that - that something operates at the OSI layer
> >above which it functions. I.e. if a routing protocol uses an IP protocol
> >number, then it is operating at transport layer. Since BGP uses TCP port
> >179, it is operating at the session layer, along with RIP, which uses UDP
> >port 520. ( BTW, I have also read in a reputable source that UDP is
> >application layer because it is not reliable, and therefore cannot be
> >transport layer, and there is no place else it really fits )

Chuck,

This is obviously nonsense, as I know that you know. I'm not criticizing
you, since you are quoting someone else, but this was a quote that should
have been routed directly to the null interface! ;-)

> >I recognize that Cisco just LOVES the OSI model in the lower level
> >certifications, but the fact is that in terms of how things work it is
crap,
> >and tends to cause more confusion and add no value.

I disagree. I think the OSI model adds a lot of value for understanding the
functions of a protocol. It helps one understand what types of services a
protocol provides and what services it uses from the layer below.

> >Every vendor of content switches is calling them layer 4-7 switches. what
> >kind of crap is that?

Switching of messages happens at all layers. That's the point of
networking! But the methods for doing it and the data used to do it differs
with each layer.

Routing protocols are in the management and control side of the network
layer. They allow routers to learn how to switch packets based on
network-layer addresses.

People get themselves in trouble when they characterize the layer that a
protocol works at by which protocols run below it and the number of
protocols that run below it. Routing protocols are not the only weird ones.
NetBIOS is a session-layer protocol, for example, but in a NetBEUI
implementation, it runs above LLC. That's doesn't change which OSI layer it
fits into best.

Consider ISDN. ISDN has three layers. Running above ISDN may be the
Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), which is usually considered a
data-link-layer protocol, although it has four layers of its own. Its top
layer provides a set of Network Control Protocols (NCPs) that are used to
establish and configure upper-layer protocols such as IP and IPX. Trying to
force all these layers into seven layers, especially when you need to
anchor IP at Layer 3, because you know it's a network-layer protocol, can
lead to frustration. It's best to just consider what services ISDN and PPP
offers and how they are used in typical networks, and stuff them into the
data-link layer.

With routing protocols, the important thing is that when you configure and
troubleshoot them, you aren't going to spend too much time considering
transport or application-layer issues. You aren't going to analyze sequence
numbers, ACKs, retransmissions, etc. You are going to focus on
network-layer issues such as addressing, forwarding, routing, router
configs, VLSM, classful versus classless, IP subnet zero, etc.

This is another one of those issues that is simply not worth debating.
Routing protocols clearly work at the network layer. I said all this much
better the last time this came up. ;-) See the archives.

Priscilla

> >I dare anyone to justify switching as a layer 5 or a layer 6 activity.
Yet
> >there it is. Also, to judge from what content switches do, the marketers
are
> >saying the OSI layer 7 is user application, not a service application,
> >something Howard takes great pain to differentiate in his writings on the
> >subject, again IIRC.
> >
> >TCP/IP is NOT OSI compliant, never has been, never will be. OSI is a
> >reference model, and not necessarily related to anything in real life.
> >
> >End of rant.
> >
> >Chuck

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com