Now, now... the OSI model DOES have a purpose. It is a reference model - the
key word being "reference".

It isn't the model so much as the fact that it makes it alot easier to look
at the various processes discretely rather than as a whole. The OSI model
gets you used to the idea that a "process" is actually multiples processes
that are hierarchically dependent (more or less). When one of those little
processes breaks down, you have a better idea of where to look. Its like
knowing that coughing is generally a sign that the problem is with those
funny sacks in your chest that pump air, not the entire body (depending on
other symptoms of course).

I've never felt that is any use knowing that a specific protocol "belongs"
to a certain layer. Its far more useful to know that a specific protocol
performs X duties and that those duties depend on other things being done by
something else. The OSI model just gives you a way of keeping those
duties/processes in their proper perspective, as parts, not the whole.

just my 2 cents...

Karen