I love to argue, even with myself. One of the problems, ignoring your
completely correct statement that TCP/IP has never and will never be
OSI compliant, is that the OSI reference model itself has evolved
since the original 1984 publication of document ISO 7498 without
appendices. Around 1988 or so, the view of the upper layers changed
considerably, and there was movement to an object-oriented model
among functions in layer 5-7 rather than strict layering. The network
layer was also revised so it overlapped into the data link layer, and
cleanly dealt with such things as ARP. There were supplemental
architecture documents on routing and on management that cleared up a
number of the confusions that come from the simplistic model that
people are given.  By simplistic model, I will merely point out that
there is a time in life where it is useful to tell children "the
daddy has the seed and gives the seed to the mommy."

That model doesn't hold up in adolescence, and the classic 7 layer
model doesn't hold up in real networking. Unfortunately, some of the
more important concepts that have held up are abstract -- the idea of
services versus protocols, the idea of service information
encapsulated in protocol data units, a convenient notation for
showing the hierarchical layering of protocols, etc., are rarely
taught outside graduate-level computer science programs.

>I once had an interesting, if heated argument with someone off list about
>this. IIRC, I was told by that person that Cisco, in its current CCNP study
>materials, is saying just that - that something operates at the OSI layer
>above which it functions. I.e. if a routing protocol uses an IP protocol
>number, then it is operating at transport layer.

The fallacy in this argument is it assumes that management and
control follows exactly the same stack as does user data.

>Since BGP uses TCP port
>179, it is operating at the session layer, along with RIP, which uses UDP
>port 520. ( BTW, I have also read in a reputable source that UDP is
>application layer because it is not reliable, and therefore cannot be
>transport layer, and there is no place else it really fits )

Your source, by its own logic, is an application layer function,
because it is not reliable.

>I recognize that Cisco just LOVES the OSI model in the lower level
>certifications, but the fact is that in terms of how things work it is crap,
>and tends to cause more confusion and add no value.
>
>Every vendor of content switches is calling them layer 4-7 switches. what
>kind of crap is that?

Arguing with myself a bit, I can make a reasonable argument for layer
4 switching, as in TCP load distribution in schemes such as NAT with
port translation and load sharing. Using layer 7 (e.g., URL) to do
additional resolution of the destination IP address could be called
relaying, as it is a little more direct than a directory lookup.  NFS
portmapper is sort of a host-based switching function.

Layer 6 switching makes no sense. I suppose something like a RPC load
distributor could do layer 5 switching, but the reality is that
distinct layer 5 and 6 protocols are very rare in IP practice.