Cisco has had two releases of the "2900XL" series. The early ones were
deeper and (I believe) used a 9 pin console cable. I seem to remember that
they did not have the XL logo. Confirmation/denial requested from the list.

For set based command switches then best to be specific: 2901, 2926.

BTW 4000s are set based. 3500XL are IOS based.