are connected via Ethernet)

Loopback0: 5.5.5.5/24              Loopback0: 4.4.4.4/24
e1 10.1.5.5/24                        e1 10.1.5.4/24
Router A -------------------- Router B
AS5000                                   AS4000

Router A config:

Router bgp 5000
neighbor 10.1.5.4 remote-as 4000

Int e1
ip address 10.1.5.5 255.255.255.0

int Loopback 0
ip address 5.5.5.5 255.255.255.0

Router B config:

Router bgp 4000
neighbor 10.1.5.5 remote-as 5000

int e1
ip address 10.1.5.4 255.255.255.0

int Loopback 0
ip address 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.0

I understand that EBGP connection has to be directly connected, so in this
case, this example is absolutely correct.  But I also read on the book which
states BGP speaker will not advertise any routes unless IGP (or static
route) can reach BGP's next hop.  So in this example, how come there is no
IGP or static running? Or are they not necessary if there isn't any third or
fourth router attached to router A or B?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best Regards,
Hunt Lee
IP Solution Analyst