The best way to explain IP classless is to explain how a router works with
"no ip classless".  Suppose you have a router with a static route configured
to 10.1.1.0/24 out some interface and you also have a default gateway
configured.  Again,  ip classless is disabled, "no ip classless".

A packet comes into the router destined for 10.1.1.2, the router looks at
the routing table, sees the static route and forwards as expected.

A packet comes into the router destined for 11.x.x.x, the router looks at
the routing table, sees the default gateway and forwards as expected.

A packet comes into the router destined for 10.10.10.1, you would expect the
router to forward the packet via the default gateway.  However, because the
router is operting in "classful mode", the router drops the packet rather
then using the default gateway.  This is because the router is in the same
classful network as the 10.1.1.0/24 network used for the static route.

If the "ip classless" command was used, the dropped packet would actually be
forwarded via the default gateway.  There really is no reason not to use "ip
classless" on all router configurations.

Mike