The history is like this:

In the beginning it used to be that a classful IP address block (such as
170.15.0.0 /16 or 197.100.2.0 /24) was assigned to a particular organization
for its exclusive use.  If that organization chose to subnet that block, and
the organization's routers did not have a route listed for a particular
subnet of that block, then a packet for that block would be dropped (even if
a gateway of last resort had been configured).  The logic being that if your
organization doesn't know where that subnet is then nobody does, and thus
the packet is dropped.

These days, ISPs have possession of various address blocks which they divvy
up as needed to their customers.  So its absolutely common for the various
subnets of a particular classful address block to be split up amongst
multiple organizations.

So the ip classless command was used to get around this default behavior of
the router.  Recognizing the changed landscape of IP address allocation, ip
classless became part of a router's default configuration starting with IOS
version 11.3, permitting packets for any destination not explicitly listed
in the router's routing table to utilize the router's configured gateway of
last resort.

Official information:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/np1_r
/1rprt2/1ripadr.htm#1018036