We discovered something on the CCIE list recently and I'm
wondering if anyone might be able to explain the reasoning
behing this behavior.

BGP synchronization rules require that if an iBGP peer is to
advertise a route learned via iBGP, it must have that prefix
*and* the next hop for that route in the routing table already.

An interesting added complexity to this occurs if your IGP is
OSPF.  If the router in question has learned these prefixes via
OSPF, then the advertising router ID in the OSPF database must
match the router ID of the iBGP peer that advertised the route.

Has this behavior caused any problems for any of you?  Do you
know why the synchronization rules have a special case for OSPF
and not other routing protocols?

I was working with someone else on a practice lab and we ran
into this issue.  We were both going nuts trying to figure out
why the iBGP routes weren't synchronizing and this turned out
to be the cause.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John